Total Pageviews

Monday, October 8, 2012

The Road to Buddhism: Take One


 
 
 
..The Road to Buddhism, “Take One”:

When you make a decision to do something,shift (shit) happens:

I may not know much about Buddhism at this point, but I think I’ve heard somewhere that patience plays into the philosophy. I’ve certainly had loads of opportunity to practice patience:

 Patience, Numero Uno :

·         As part of my volunteer package to teach Buddhist monks English, the organization said you would be able to meditate, chant, & learn Buddhism from the monks.

·         We met the 1st day at 7:00AM at a specific place near the monkey temple monastery where it was supposed to take place at 7:00AM.  We were told the chanting happened at 9:00AM & to come back at that time.

·         My fellow volunteer went at 9:00AM. It turned out there were no monks chanting, but she attended a great yoga class. 

·         The next day was the same, yoga, no monks.

·          The 4th day we spoke w/ our monk contact in Swayambhu Monastery & got the final verdict that the monks meditate in their temple (stupa) at 5:00AM daily.

·         There is no way for me to get there that early daily so I will go once/week.

·         Due to this twist of events, I will be taking my initial journey into Buddhism into my own hands.

Baby Step #1:

Buying Books on Buddhism:

Kopan Monastery (where I will be spending the last 50 of my 100 days in Nepal in retreats & what I’m calling “Buddha Boot Camp”) provided me an extensive (100 or so) reading list of books.  I’m starting with 2 books written by The Dalai Lama, “The Heart of the Buddha’s Path” & “All you ever wanted to know from his Holiness The Dalai Lama on Happiness, Life, Living, & Much More.”

 
Baby Step #2:

Visiting Kopan Monastery:

I have a decision to make on where to spend the free time I will have when my volunteer commitment ends at the end of Oct.  My retreat in Kopan Monastery begins on  Nov. 11, but I can begin my stay as early as Nov. 5.  I needed to check out my next digs to see how badly I need to go to Italy for pizza for a week or Sweden for a spa (I am in serious “Foodie” withdrawl & a spa sounds heavenly)

 So I took an hr. cab ride (the driver had to ask for directions 5 times & I finally called Kopan & put a monk on the phone to talk him in). It is serene & gorgeous with gardens, far above the city, removed from the dusty streets of Kalanki. The contrast will make me all that more grateful when I arrive.

 
MUSIC MAKES THE WORLD GO AROUND III:

As we sat on the road to Chitwan, a Nepali teenager next to my fellow volunteer was listening to music on her I phone. The volunteer saw it was Adele & commented on it. They had a great conversation on Adele & her music & the Nepali girl let her listen to her I phone for a while.

 Bonus opportunities for practicing Patience:

·         My “Mini Monks”: In light of the fact that I grew up an only child, have never babysat a day in my life, & have no children of my own, my experience in being around children is basically nil.  Teaching 12 children ages 5-12  is a whole new ball game for me. I’ve found out that just because they’re monks, they aren’t born zen’d out.  They punch, stab with pens, run around, & have a miniscule attention span. I do really love them & am enjoying the experience getting to know their individual personalities.

 

·         ATM’s: I’ve just accepted that getting money out in Kalanki is not one errand, but many.  Usually, by the 4th ATM, I’ll find one that’s working.

 

·          Living w/ 18 people:  I remember when I visited my friend in New Zealand & her family a few years back. It took me about a week to pinpoint why I felt so out of sorts & strange in the house. It was all the people (7) & the constant conversation & noise I simply wasn’t used to having lived  by myself for 26 years.  This round in the hostel, it’s still an adjustment, but an easier transition.  

 Old World Meets New World, Take II:

Even though women really do not leave the house (overall), must cover up in how they dress, can’t smoke in public, & there are arranged marriages,there is a “Nepali Idol” fashioned after “American Idol” TV show.

No comments:

Post a Comment